Sunday, February 26, 2006

Curling

Curling is not my sport although I have played the game in many venues from Newfoundland to Alberta. I do have a familiarity with the nuances and I am most proud of our boy Brad. I didn't post anything because I figured most bloggers would have verbiaged the story to death. Upon checking the blogging tories blog I hit on an entry by a Dr. Roy Eappen which I was most impressed. He said:

Newfoundland

I was very pleased the Men's Curling Team won a gold medal in Torino. Brad Gunshue and most of the team are from Newfoundland. I know nothing about curling. I know a little about Newfoundland. The few times I have been to Newfoundland, I have found the people of Newfoundland to be a joy. They were unfailingly friendly and helpful. If I stood on a corner for a few minutes several people would come up and ask if I needed assistance. In national terms they give the most to charity and were the first to step up to help the families of stranded Americans after 9/11. One of the reasons I am proud to be a Canadian is that there are Newfoundlanders who are my fellow citizens. I am truly glad for these kind gentle hardworking people and celebrate with them in this time of national joy.

Patriotic Songs


Ode to Newfoundland

The words of "The Ode to Newfoundland" were written by His Excellency Sir Cavendish Boyle, K.C.M.G., who was Governor of Newfoundland from 1901 to 1904. On November 8, 1902, the Ode was set to music composed by Professor E.R. Krippner and was officially adopted as the Newfoundland anthem. On May 20, 1904, the present musical setting, which was composed by Sir Hubert Parry, Bart, was officially substituted for the Krippner setting. On August 17, 1979, Royal Assent was given to legislation adopting the Ode to Newfoundland as the official provincial anthem of the province of Newfoundland.

When sun rays crown thy pine clad hills,
And summer spreads her hand,
When silvern voices tune thy rills,
We love thee, smiling land.
Refrain
We love thee, we love thee,
We love thee, smiling land.

As loved our fathers, so we love,
Where once they stood, we stand;
Their prayer we raise to Heaven above,
God guard thee, Newfoundland

Refrain
God guard thee, God guard thee,
God guard thee, Newfoundland

That is a very insightful comment from someone who was born in India and is an
endocrinologist in Montreal. Check out his blog, he is my kind of guy and I invited him to contact me when he next visits Newfoundland. I said:

Thank you for the kind comments. We usually get stupid jokes. When you visit again let me know and I will show you things you won't believe. You will return home and be able to say, "Now I know a lot about Newfoundland."
Try to get your hands on a copy of E.J. Pratt's poems and you will get a spine tingling feel for Newfoundlanders that will ensure your next visit transpires more quickly.
here's one:

Erosion

It took the sea a thousand years,
A thousand years to trace
The granite features of this cliff,
In crag and scarp and base.

It took the sea an hour one night,
An hour of storm to place
The sculpture of these granite seams
Upon a woman's face.

My faithful know how much I admire Pratt and his feel for the lifeblood of Newfoundland. Much has changed since E.J. passed on but there is still that vein of self sufficiency and dedication to the value of the human spirit and the will to strive for that basic societal instinct inherent in our forefathers but sadly lacking in today's urban diverse miasma.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page